amesbury281.jpg (19976 bytes)

Logo for 1913 Catalogue

 

 

Historical Dates

and

Places of Interest

amesbury282.jpg (17822 bytes)

Leitch Automobile Co.'s Catalogue illustration  for its 1913 No. 105 Limousine

Home     Old Photos   Places of  Interest   Our  Advertisers    Recent Events Photos     
Amesbury City Government   Chamber of Commerce    Public   Library   Church Services   Amesbury Firemen Association
  Maps  Bartlett Museum Amesbury Carriage Makers     Joshia Bartlett    Jacob Perkins     George Edwin McNeill     John Barry

amesbury144.jpg (72717 bytes)

Edward Dorr House
1785
8 Andrews Lane

amesbury147.jpg (59745 bytes)

Cushing-Nye-Kingsbury House
1762
418 Maine Street

amesbury146.jpg (64873 bytes)

Moses Lowell House
1730
333 MaineStreet

amesbury145.jpg (52643 bytes)

Michael; Walsh House
1757
421 Main Street

amesbury143.jpg (63594 bytes)

"The Elms"
Captain James Rowell
1800
Corner of Friend and Pond Streets
one of the best examples of a Federal home
.

amesbury124.jpg (72019 bytes)

Forrester 2 and Engine 3 Fire Station

amesbury125.jpg (75237 bytes)

1793 Cemetery at Old Town Settlement, now Amesbury

amesbury279.jpg (61727 bytes)

1810 Powder House for storage of shot for 1812 War

amesbury121.jpg (63631 bytes)

Playground at the Town Park

amesbury50.jpg (14268 bytes)

View of Merrimac River as seen from Alliance Park


A  lot of history in this city that should not be forgotten

 

Favorite Places to visit

Bartlett Museum
270 Main St.

Victorian-style schoolhouse built in 1870. Contains memorabilia of Amesbury's
history including indian artifacts, natural science items, and carriages. Open between Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day, Fridays through Sundays form 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM. (The Museum is also open 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM on holidays.) To see the Museum during other times, or to make arrangements
for group tours, call 918-388-4528 or 978-388-7950.

 

Friends Meeting House
120 Friend St

The building was constructed in 1850, with poet John Greenleaf Whittier serving on the building committee.
From 1851 to 1962 ,
the meetinghouse hosted the Salem Quarterly meeting. The Amesbury Monthly Meeting of Friends is a current thriving congregation, with Meeting for Worship every Sunday at 10 AM. The facing bench displays a small plaque that reads, "Whittier's Bench."

 

 

Merrimac Hat Company Mills 
Merrimac St. at Bailey Pond


Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Amesbury was once one of the nation's biggest hat producers. The Merrimac Hat Collection is a collection of Merrimac Hats and memorabilia on display at 9 Water St. by appointment only. (978) 388-0091

 

 

Old Powder House
Monroe & Madison Street


The Powder House was used for the

storage of arms and ammunition during the War of 1812 and is believed to have been built in 1810. It has been preserved to its present condition by the Amesbury
Improvement Association.

 

 

Harriet Prescott Spofford Home
Deer Island



Harriet Prescott Spofford was an American writer whose Gothic romances are set apart by luxuriant description and her unconventional handling of the female stereotypes of her day. The house was first used as a local tavern and later converted to a fine dining restaurant. During Mrs. Prescott's lifetime, the house was host to prominant American litarary figures including Emerson, Holmes, Whittier, Lowell, and Higgenson. The house is now a private residence.

 

John Greenleaf Whittier Home
86 Friend Street

May 1 through October 31, Tuesday - Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Last tour at 3:15 p.m. Visit the home of John Greenleaf Whittier, one of America's greatest poets and abolitionists. The house and the furnishings remain nearly the same as when the Whittier family lived in Amesbury from 1836 until 1892. Whittier wrote most of his poetry and prose including his classic "Snow Bound" in the Garden Room.

 

Macy/Colby House
257 Main Street (found at the entrance to Union/Bartlett Cemetery from Main St.)

The home of Thomas Macy until his departure to Nantucket island in 1659.
Macy was one of the original negotiators for Nantucket island, which was bought for thirty pounds and two beaver hats. He also was featured as the hero of Whittier's poem The Exiles.

 

The Captain's Well
Main St. (in front of the Middle School)

Original well was dug by Capt. Valentine Bagley and made famous by the John Greenleaf Whittier poem, "The Captain's Well", which tells the story of the shipwreck of Captain Valentine Bagley, on the coast
of Arabia, and his sufferings in the desert where he vowed to dig a well so that no
man should suffer from thirst as he did.

Salisbury Point Railroad
9 Water Street.


The Salisbury Point Railroad Historical Society is a non-profit dedicated to railways, railway modelling and all things trains in particular the preservation of Boston and Maine (B&M) artifacts and memorabillia. Open to members and visitors Wed 7:00-9:00 PM

Mary Baker Eddy Historic House
277 Main Street


Open Saturdays, 10 am - 3 pm
from May to October and by appointment.
The home of Squire Lowell Bagley and then his daughter Sarah. Mary Baker Eddy was a guest in Sarah Bagley's home during the summer and early fall

of 1868 and again briefly in 1870. She did some of her earliest writing on Christian Science in this house. Of particular interest are the furnishings, which have remained substantially unchanged since the time Mrs. Eddy and the Bagley family lived there.

 

Michael Walsh Home
421 Main Street


Michael Walsh, an outstanding mathematician of early America, lived

in a foursquare colonial house on Main Street. His book, "A New System of Mercantile Arithmetic", was used well into the nineteenth century in all American schools for boy

Lowell's Boat Shop
459Main Street


Founded by Simeon Lowell in 1793, the boat shop designed and produced some of the finest small fishing vessels used by American mariners. The shop is a "working museum" where visitors can see boats

under construction.

Other Historical Dates
Historical Maps
1640

 

First street named at Salisbury's new West Settlement was named Mill St. It later became Mill Street in Amesbury.
1641

 

Haverhill Road was planned from the west settlement to Haverhill.
1651

 

Salt water pans were used to extract salt from the Merrimac.
1656

 

First sawmill in Amesbury, known as the New Settlement was built by Thomas Macy and Richard Currier. There were eighteen families now settled.
1657

 

A very strigent law was passed against harboring Quakers.
1658

 

Salisbury's west settlement petitioned the courts to separate from Salisbury proper. It was denied
1659

 

Walton Taylor was given permission to build vessels. Land lots were given to children west of Buttonwood Road. The area west of the road was later called "Jamaco"
1685

 

The first fence ever around a cemetary was built. Haverhill Road was laid out.
1687

 

Thomas Jewell purchased land next to the New Hampshire line to farm. In England he was a Lord's coachman.  He married his daughter and they eloped to New England and finally settled here. When the new boundries were drawn, his land was divided between what is now South Hampton and Amesbury.

1692

 

A brigantine of sixty tons was built and maybe others before this.
1699

 

A little known war using pitchforks and hoes was fought in the hayfields between Amesbury and Haverhill hayers. There was no distinct line between the Amesbury and Haverhill meadows. Several men would come from Haverhill and drive the Amesbury men off until one day Amesbury showed up with a larger group using pitchforks chased the Haverhill men off and dared them to show up again. They never did.

1701

 

Earliest record of the Society of Friends in Amesbury.
1705

 

First Friends Meeting House in Amesbury. It was built on Friend Street.
1709

 

First vessel built in Jamaco, first name used for South Amesbury
1716

 

The first school house in Amesbury was built.
1728

 

Amesbury had its first bank and it was owned by the town. The name was "The Town Bank".
1731

 

A bridge across the Powow River was built.
1739

 

David Blaisdel was making clocks. He was also known for making other items such as nails. He held the record for making five hundred hand hammered nails in one day and they were of two sizes.
1747

 

William Whittier began making bricks at the intersection of Buttonwood Road and the Merrimac River.
1750

 

Joseph Bartlett was given permission to build a lime kiln at the mouth of the Powow River. There was a huge mound of clam shells that the Indians had made. They were used to make the lime which was of great quality. The Indians had used this place for centuries to fish and clam.

1767

 

The town sent back to Canada the French Prisoners of war that had been held for eleven years.
Moses Chase built the first hat factory. It was near the river.
Merchant Chase built a tailor shop next to the hat factory.
1773

 

The worst tornado ever to hit Amesbury. It lasted three minutes and over two hundred structures were either badly damaged or destroyed.

1784

 

River Road was approved.
1800

 

Michael Emery and William Little built the first carriage. It was in West Amesbury, now Merrimac.
1805

 

The nail factory burned down at a huge loss. It had been built in 1796. The Academy was approved and built.
1808

 

There were 21 ships, thirteen briggs, and seven other vessels built at the ship yards. Amesbury had been building vessels since first settled.
1816

 

The towns north of the Merrimac River voted whether to unite with New Hampshire making the Merrimac River the dividing line between the two states. The votes failed.
1817

 

James Chase started making utility pottery.
1818

 

The nail factory closed. The building was sold in 1824 to a woolen mill and it was demolished in 1872.
1828

 

Provident Bank was built in Amesbury.
1888

 

In the fall of 1888 the great fire occurred on "Carriage hill," which destroyed the business plants of sixteen of these firms. Most of the factories were rebuilt in brick buildings.
1912

 

The Hamilton Woolen Mills, a successor to the Salisbury Mills shut done.

 


Home     Old Photos   Places of  Interest   Our  Advertisers    Recent Events Photos     
Amesbury City Government   Chamber of Commerce    Public   Library   Church Services   Amesbury Firemen Association
  Maps  Bartlett Museum Amesbury Carriage Makers     Joshia Bartlett    Jacob Perkins     George Edwin McNeill     John Barry